Artificial Intelligence (AI) has ushered in a new era of creative possibilities. One of the intriguing aspects of AI in art is the use of AI art generators like Midjourney, which can produce stunning and unique artworks. However, the question of whether you can sell Midjourney art, created using AI, is a complex one. In this blog post, we’ll explore the legal and practical aspects of selling AI art, including Midjourney, offer tips for successful commercialization, and suggest platforms where you can sell your AI art.
Understanding the Legal Landscape
The legal landscape surrounding AI-generated art is still evolving, and the U.S. Copyright Office’s current stance is that AI cannot be considered an author. Copyright is fundamentally based on authorship, and as AI art generators like Midjourney are considered machines, only humans can be recognized as authors of an artwork.
As a result, AI-generated art, including that created with Midjourney, does not receive automatic copyright protection, and ownership cannot be claimed. Midjourney, as a Californian company, operates under U.S. Copyright Law, which aligns with this perspective.
Midjourney’s Terms of Service further clarify that if you are not a paid member, you don’t own the assets you create using their platform. However, in line with the existing legal framework, Midjourney does not own the AI art either. This means they grant subscribers a license to sell the AI art, but in essence, they don’t own the rights to the art either.
This legal landscape provides a unique opportunity for artists to sell AI art freely, whether they created it themselves or obtained it through platforms like Midjourney. Keep in mind that the situation could change as AI art copyright and ownership issues are further clarified, but for now, pure AI art remains unowned.
Midjourney License and Commercialization
Midjourney’s terms of service grant a license to the assets created through their platform under the Creative Commons Noncommercial 4.0 Attribution International License, or “Asset License.” However, given the legal stance that AI art cannot be owned, it’s somewhat peculiar that they provide a commercial license route.
While the commercial license may seem counterintuitive, it can still be utilized for commercial purposes as AI art, according to existing copyright law, can be sold freely. Therefore, as long as you follow the legal guidelines and terms of service, you can use Midjourney art for commercial purposes.
Tips for Selling Midjourney Art
- High Image Resolution: To ensure the best quality for your AI art, aim for a high image resolution, preferably around 4000 pixels x 7000 pixels.
- Know Your Market: If you plan to sell your AI art on platforms like Etsy, research what types of digital art are currently in demand and align your creations with market preferences.
- Find Inspiration: Explore AI art models that rank well on platforms like Civitai to inspire your next AI artwork.
- Printable Wall Art: If you are creating printable wall art, use the PNG file format for printing to maintain image quality.
- Choose a Niche: Focus on a specific niche or audience to tailor your artwork. For example, create art targeted at dog owners or any other specific group.
- Explore Marketplaces: Check existing products on platforms like Artstation and see if you can create something unique for their marketplace.
- Stickers and More: AI art is ideal for creating stickers. If you use platforms like Redbubble, adjust the markup (profit percentage) to ensure profitability.
Where to Sell Midjourney Art?
Now that you’ve created your AI art using Midjourney and followed the tips for selling, let’s explore some platforms where you can market your creations:
- Etsy: Etsy is a popular platform for selling printable wall art and digital art. It’s a great place to reach an audience interested in unique and artistic creations.
- Redbubble: While Redbubble has introduced new fee structures, it remains a viable option for selling AI art, especially stickers. Remember to adjust the profit percentage to suit your goals.
- Society6 and Zazzle: These print-on-demand stores offer alternatives to Redbubble for selling a wide range of products featuring your AI art.
- Kittl: Kittl is a versatile platform that allows you to design AI art merchandise, add creative text to your designs, and even create logos. It’s a useful tool for various purposes.
Can I sell AI art created with Midjourney on Etsy?
Yes, Etsy is a popular platform for selling AI art, including that created with Midjourney. Just make sure your artwork aligns with market preferences.
What are the advantages of selling AI art on Redbubble?
Redbubble is known for its wide range of products, making it suitable for selling AI art, especially stickers. However, you should adjust the markup for profitability.
Is it legal to sell AI art created with Midjourney?
Yes, according to current U.S. Copyright Law and Midjourney’s terms of service, it is legal to sell AI art created with Midjourney.
Should I specialize in a niche when selling AI art?
Focusing on a specific niche can help you target a particular audience and increase the appeal of your AI art to potential buyers.
Selling AI art, including creations from platforms like Midjourney, is an exciting opportunity for artists. The current legal landscape, combined with the practical tips and a choice of diverse platforms, makes it possible to commercialize AI art freely. Keep in mind that while the AI art copyright situation may evolve, for now, AI art remains in the realm of unclaimed, machine-generated creativity. So, create your AI art, explore the right platforms, and tap into the growing market for digital art.